Monday, June 25, 2012

Secret #8- Get Out Of My Way!

"If you're visiting your pet in the hospital, and we say something along the lines of 'OK, it's time to let Fluffy sleep now,' often what we really mean is you're in our way, and we're trying to treat other patients."

Now, If I was visiting my sick child in the hospital and a nurse inferred that I was in the way and needed to leave, I'd be a bit upset.

I worked (briefly) in a higher-end restaurant bussing tables. There were nights when we were all tired, ready to clean up and go home, but there were still customers lingering over their desserts and coffee, and chatting. So we would clear the table. Then we'd stop refilling the drinks. Turn down the lights. Turn off the heat/air. Wait for them to get the hint and leave. To this day, I don't stay at a restaurant 'til close or after.

But I'm not in a hospital to socialize. I'm worried about my sick loved one. If I'm in your way, maybe you need to find a way to allow me to visit less intrusively.

Here's what I will do as a vet- and what I have seen my most fabulous, goddesses-among-women techs do. We will take a patient into an exam room to visit- this lets their people have quiet time out of everyone's way. Or we will allow people to visit their pets in our teatment area, and will gently ask the to excuse us when we need them to move. I have never had anyone protest.

If it gets to be after hours, I will tell the client that we are officially closing, that one of us will stay for a bit while they visit. The vast majority of people will then thank us for staying a few extra minutes and will leave on their own.

The point? Well, I guess I'm trying to say this- These are pet parents, worried sick about their pets who are trusted into our care. They are not in the way. They are the reason we are here. They may well respond better to direct words than indirect hints. What's after "let Fluffly rest?" Turn off the lights? Not on my watch.

Enjoy your pets!

No comments:

Post a Comment