Thursday, June 21, 2012

#7- where's my tricorder?



"Here's a pet peeve: owners who don't want to pay for diagnostic tests but then cop an attitude because you don't know what's wrong with the animal. Since you won't let me do the blood work or x-rays, how the heck do you expect me to know?"

Yep, I think we've all been there. Look, gentle readers, we vets are good at what we do, but we are not psychic, we do not have magic 8 balls with all the answers. What we have is years of training, years of experience, and great testing (diagnostic) options available to us.

Many of us would love to provide the diagnostics (and our time, and our technician's time, and our receptionist's time, and the light and the heat, etc) to you for free, but we can't, any more than you provide your services or time for free at your place of employment.

Here's the thing- excellent veterinary medical care is expensive. We can't get past it.

Step back- actually, excellent veterinary care is a really good bargain. Like I have said in a previous post, each of my c-sections cost over $15,000. The last c-section/spay I performed cost the owner $800. Cheap.

But here's the point the vet in the above quote is making- unlike human medicine, where it is between the doc and the insurance company which tests will be performed, in my office you are the responsible party. You say yes or no to the testing. You are faced with the budgeting.

Most of us vets understand living on a budget. We have it down. We will not berate you for not being able to afford something. Just don't act like it's our fault you can't afford it.

And don't get mad when we give you options for finding out what the issue at hand is, but cannot give you a definite answer when you can't agree to the diagnostics. It would be like calling my car repair place complaining of a noise in the engine, but not allowing them to open the hood or use a diagnostic tool. How can I expect them to know what's going on, let alone fix it, without all the information?

So until that great day when I get my tricorder, diagnostic testing like radiography, blood work and ultrasound will have to do. At a price.

Enjoy your pets!

No comments:

Post a Comment