Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Darn Reader's Digest!

I don't know whether you, my audience of three or so, have read the recent Reader's Digest article, 50 Secrets Your Vet Won't Tell You. I don;t know whether you recall a Consumer Reports article on saving money on your vet bills a few years ago, or the one about pet foods before that.

Look, I know these magazines need to sell copy and ads. "List" articles seem to be ever popular (Top 10 hairstyles for 2013!). And I realize that some magazines, papers, websites and blogs look for shock content to publish. It drives sales through readership. Yes, I know. And maybe I'm old fashioned in thinking that a well-thought-out article is not too much to ask. Sigh. I'm just tired of feeling my choice of profession- usually considered widely well-regarded- is being targeted and picked on. Sigh again.

So, here we go. Reader's Digest compiled a list of 50 things your vet won't tell you. They are quotes from vets and vet techs (vet nurses). I think some have some merit, others are funny, some are just plain wrong. I have spoken to colleagues who feel the gist of the article is demeaning. Others who find it inflammatory. One who thinks that any vet or tech who makes degrading comments about our profession cannot be right in the head.

I am going to parse this out. Over the next few weeks, I plan to take these points individually and consider them. Please remember- these comments are mine and mine alone, based on my education and experience. My blog is intended to be educational to some degree, but also fun (and at times heavy on the sarcasm).



Enjoy your pets!

No comments:

Post a Comment