Friday, June 8, 2012

Secret #3: Elaine's medical chart

"Most hospitals keep comprehensive records of behavior- of both your pet and you! If you are aggressive to the staff, you will be treated differently."

Hmmmm. Well....

I have never worked in a vet hospital that kept extensive records of client behavior. Payments made, sure- that can be found in the software. Aggressive dog or cat- yes, a note will be made to keep us all safe.

But client behavior?

I have come accross some really nasty clients over the years. Most of the time I understand that I just got in on a really bad day for them. Very rarely is it personal. And if a client is upset because of something the staff or I did, or something that happened on my watch, I think I'm pretty good at acknowledging mistakes and trying to fix them. There might be a note indicating the client was upset over the situation.

Yes, I have known clients that are rude to the staff on a regular basis. There is no need for notes on this one, folks- we all know who these people are. There are some clients we know will be more difficult than others.

Treat them differently? Really? Like what, I wonder- ignore them when they get in the waiting room? Leave them on hold? Spit in their pets' food? I hope not. All of our clients deserve to be treated with respect, and their pets with kindness.

In my opionion, if a client is aggressive to the staff, then that client needs to be told to go elsewhere.



Enjoy your pets!

PS- bonus points if you "get" the title

No comments:

Post a Comment