Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Secret #1: Big Dog/Small Dog

The quote:

"People always ask: 'How do you handle pit bulls and rottweilers and big german shepherds?' The truth is, the dogs that scare me most are the little chihuahuas. They're much more likely to bite."

I have jokingly said for years- ever since my stint as "kennel crew" that I am more worried about the small breed dogs that are aggressive than the bigger ones. The small dogs seem like they are more likely to bite without warning. They lunge fast. Sometimes they insist on biting my shoes even when we are all done with the doctor stuff.



But...big dogs that are aggressive tend to cause worse injuries. I have the scars to prove it. They can be much harder to restrain- imagine a 100 lb vet tech trying to hold a 150 lb dog, who does not want to be held, for a blood draw. Or a nail trim. It can get hairy.

I think the larger point is this- we all prefer to see the well-mannered, well trained dog come into the practice. Sure, we can deal with the nasty ones. We have muzzles and medication. But there is very little reason to joke- a bite from any pet can be terrible. And yes, this includes cats, ferrets, iguanas and birds.

Enjoy your pets!

No comments:

Post a Comment