Monday, June 11, 2012

Secret #5: Hospital vs Hotel

"We're a pet hospital, not a dog hotel. People will get upset because their dog got a sheet instead of two fluffy blankets or because their dog didn't get hand-fed. We're just trying to get your dog better so he can come home and you can spoil him."

Well, I thought the beds in the hospital where I delivered my kids were pretty far from hotel comfort, too. I didn't expect them to be softer, or have more pillows or blankets. True enough.



I also agree that some people get upset over things that seem pretty trivial to me. But I do try to listen. And if my client is worries about comfort because of arthritis, we will try to keep more bedding down. If hand feeding is needed to get hat pet better so he can go home- it will be done. Heck, I've had staff go to the grocery for deli meat to try to convince patients to eat. We like to spoil them when they are with us, too.

I think that the underlying concern in this comment is that we feel underappraciated, even when we are doing our best. Sometimes we feel people pick on the small issues- like a nail trim- and don't really "get" the good we are doing with the big issues- like saving lives.

No, a sick dog in the hospital will not be treated like a healthy dog in a fancy boarding kennel. I did not get the same treatment in the hospital as I do at a hotel. I got more attention in the hospital, if fewer luxeries. The same is likely true for your pet as well. Trust in the hospital staff, and don't be offended if we ask you to ;eave your bedding at home.

But flip side- hospital staff, recognize that owners feel like they need some control of the situation- and we all deal with stress differently. Respect those folks for the love they have for their pets, and that they are putting their trust in you.

Enjoy your pets!

No comments:

Post a Comment