Thursday, August 16, 2012

Secret #36- technical issues

My comments on Reader's Digest article "50 Secrets Your Vet Won't Tell You"

"When you're looking for a new vet, always check out the staff. A lot of times they'll be listed online. Look for technicians who are certified or licensed (they'll have RVT, LVT, or CVT after their names)."

Staff is the backbone and the life's blood of any practice. A good vet tech is worth his or her weight in gold.

I think perhaps the write of this quote wanted you to know that some hospitals are staffed with assistants rather than techs. This may be true. And there are certain procedures that techs can legally do that assistants cannot. One could make the argument that an up-to-date practice will have a licensed tech available.

Here's the rub- there are not as many techs as there are jobs available. So I wouldn't necessarily discount a practice based in a lack of technicians on the staff.  Not having an LVT means the vet is likely doing many of the things I have not needed to do for years (I love being spoiled), like placing IV catheters and drawing blood. Having excellent technical staff means there is more time for the vet to do what we do best- diagnose, prescribe treatments, and perform surgery.

So, I would not tell anyone to avoid a practice that does not employ LVTs. But I do like having them at my back.

Enjoy your pets!

No comments:

Post a Comment