Saturday, August 11, 2012

Secret #33- show me your title and insurance

My comments on Reader's Digest article "50 Secrets Your Vet Won't Tell You"

"Some people worry that paying for pet insurance will be a waste if they don't use it. But when you renew your fire insurance on your house, do you say, 'Shoot, my house didn't burn down last year- I wasted all that money?'"

I like this. I pay my car insurance and life insurance, and never think that I have been cheated by not needing it.

But what if you really don't want to pay monthly premiums for pet insurance?

I offer a different approach to my clients- well, a couple. First, if you trust yourself to budget well, you can set up a savings account. Put in $50 per month, or whatever amount. Earmark the money for vet expenses. Use it for routine care, or save it up as an emergency fund. Then you feel like the money is yours no matter what.

Another option might be to "pre-pay" your vet. I have offered to have people bring in a little money at a time that we deposit on account for the client. Sort of like layaway, I guess. Then they can build up a balance to cover a spay, or a dental procedure. I wouldn't use this as insurance against a big, unexpected bill, though. I think it would work best for expected, planned services.

Enjoy your pets!

No comments:

Post a Comment