Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Secret #30- I'm late for my tee time!

My comments on Reader's Digest article "50 Secrets Your Vet Won't Tell You"

"If your animal is really sick, it's better to bring him in during the morning. A vet I once worked with would do a huge work up when a sick animal came in early. But if the animal came in late in the day, the vet would actually encourage the owner to euthanize. But I would add that this is not common."

Not common? I would hope that it would be downright rare!

Sounds like this vet was working for someone with serious fatigue. Or maybe he or she had a standing meeting committment of some sort. I can't pretend to guess. Treating patients diffently based on the time of day of the appointment is wrong, and should not be tolerated.

I have seen articles that recommend getting early morning or just after lunch appointments with a doctor so that the MDs don't have a chance to get too far behind. But I can't say I've seen anyone say that you get better care in the morning.

You have to trust your vet. We are human, and make mistakes. But we should all strive to provide the best care we know how.

Enjoy your pets!

Addendum: So, I've been thinking about this one a bit. I wonder about the circumstances surrounding this vet's experience. Did it happen mor than once? Maybe there were vast differences in the signs the pets were showing. Maybe the accused vet knew the clients well enough to know what they would or would not do. Maybe there was more to the conversations between the accused vet and the clients than the quoted vet knew. We need to be careful about casting stones without having the whole picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment