Monday, July 30, 2012

Secret #26- blood-suckers

My comments on Reader's Digest article "50 Secrets Your Vet Won't Tell You"

" The cheaper, over-the-counter spot-on flea and tick treatments are extremely dangerous. I've seen animals having violent seizures after using them; I've seen animals die. Ironically, most of these animals still have live fleas crawling all over them."

I wish there was a cheap, safe and effective OTC flea and tick product for pets. I really do. I hate fleas, and I remeber summers spent bathing the dog, powdering the cats, collaring everyone, and still having fleas crawl up my socks as I walked across carpet in the house. YUCK!

But here's the thing. The OTC products are old technology. Old chemistry. Product that we know is no longer effective. Most of them contain chemicals that can be very dangerous for cats. I, too, have seen cats' lives put at risk from these products, and I never recommend them.

Which leaves us with more effective, generally safe, but more costly option for flea control. Yes, $20ish dollars per pet per month adds up. I sympathize. But the only way to control the problem is to use an effective treatment. Ask us vets what we use. Try to budget accordingly.

A couple slightly off-topic notes- never use a product labeled "for dogs only" on cats. Cats are not small dogs. They can have real problems with medications that dogs handle just fine. This includes prescription products from the vet.

Pocket pets also have specific needs and challenges for parasite control. Ask your vet.

Be very cautious about ordering meds online. There are some unscrupulous people out there trying to make money with counterfiet product, or expired products that have been repackaged with fake info and expiration dates. The more people to "touch" a product, the more oppurtunity for graft. The meds at the vet have gone from the manufacturer to the distributor to the vet. The meds online have gone who knows where. Just sayin.'

Enjoy your pets!

No comments:

Post a Comment