Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cats is cats

So my daughter explained to me yesterday as I was driving her home from the grocery store that she feels we should adopt a litter of kittens.

"How many?" I questioned

"I don't know, maybe ten. That way, they would all be friends, and if they weren't friends, we could give one away." Good 5 year old logic.

I like cats. Cats are like chips- most of us don't have just one. And they'll make more. There certainly isn't a dearth of kittens out there. Those of you who have experienced litter mate kittens playing together know just how much fun they can be. They bring joy to our life.

I grew up with Siamese cats, named for characters from Anna and the King of Siam. Then we added a rabbit to the mix. The rabbit lived in the house, free-roaming with the cats. Now some of you might be concerned that the cats would attack and possibly kill the poor bunny. We had some concerns, too. Until the rabbit took one look at the cats and attacked. Not in a Monty Python Search for the Holy Grail attack rabbit way, more of an annoying aunt backing you into the corner and talking your ear off kind of way. He backed those cats up and stared at them They hissed and hit him. He cocked his head to the side and wiggled his nose. The cats jumped over him and ran!

The cats could be seen huddled on the stairs, watching the rabbit hop down the hall. We think they were plotting his demise. Eventually, they reached a sort of truce and left each other alone. But the antics still make us grin.

And don't tell me animals don't have logic skills.

There was a period of time I made pets of field mice (yes, I was a little odd). I kept one in a cage in my room. On a bookshelf, 3 shelves up. One cat, Rorshack by name, black and white like an inkblot test, would sit on the floor in front of the bookcase, stare at the mouse in her cage, and plan his climb. He would look at the first shelf, turn his head slightly like he was imagining walking across the shelf, then look up to the second shelf. Then he would try his approach. Jump to the first shelf. Walk along the books. Attempt to get paws into position to get to next shelf. Fall to the floor. Sit on the floor and re-try the plan. Logic.

So, yes, I really like cats. But I don't want ten right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment