Tuesday, January 31, 2012

5 reasons to own a black dog

I love my dogs. Let's face it, I'm a veterinarian, I like pets. I like them big, I like them small, I like them short, I like them tall. (Can you tell I'm also mom to two youngsters?)

Currently, I live with two dogs. Spiker is a collie/aussie mix, and is a beautiful long-coated blue merle, with white feet and nose. He is truly stunning to look at. Bella is our 9 year old black lab. Bella came to us as a stray when she was very young. She's going grey now in the face, but she's still beautiful. And practical. Here are the five reasons to have a black dog in your house. (Disclaimer- pictures were all found on the web, I take no credit for them.)

5. Black fur doesn't show on black pants. Now, you could argue that black fur does show on white and khaki pants, and you would not be wrong. But, frankly, all fur shows on white and khaki. Trust me. I have had every color of fur on my pants at one time or another. But I wear black when I want to dress up, and having a light dog rub against me before I walk out the door leaves a trail on the pants. The black dog's fur just blends right in.



4. You can see black fur dustbunnies on the floor. I know, this doesn't sound like a good thing. But I am an indifferent housekeeper, and seeing the problem areas helps me spot-clean before people come to visit. The lighter fur will escape my attention until a 3 foot fur tumblweed blows across the floor in front of guests.



3. It's kind of fun when a black dog stands outside the kitchen door at night and all you see are her eyes reflecting the light from inside. Camoflage.



2. No one will every think it's a good idea to dye her an odd color. Pink and purple poodles may be fun to look at, but I like my Bella undyed.





1. The dirt doesn't show. Spiker is currently a muddy, muddy mess. Bella is equally muddy (I think), but it just doesn't show up on her. I don't look at her and think it's shower time. Spiker, on the other hand, is threatened with a shower on a daily basis. Which is not to say he gets one. 




So there you go. Enjoy your pets. Even if they show dirt. Or are pink.




No comments:

Post a Comment