Tuesday, September 11, 2012

"Where were you?"

Tuesday, September 11. 2001.

I was at work. It was a typical Tuesday. Not too many appointments were scheduled.

When a client at the front desk told us she heard on the radio that an airplane had hit one of the Twin Towers and maybe the Pentagon, we thought it was a radio morning show prank. Then another person came in and told us the tower was burning.

We turned on the television- at that time we had a TV in each of the exam rooms. We got reasonable reception just in time to see the second tower hit. Then we watched them burn, and finally watched them fall.

I remember an overwhelming need to know where all my loved ones were. I needed to know they were all safe. It was hard to believe the world kept turning.

I remember being amazed that the towers held as long as they did, that so many had time to evacuate. That the death toll wasn't higher. Images of people helping others as they fled.

I remember images of people in the Middle East dancing in the street in celebration. I remember feeling rage- cold rage over that.

I tracked planes in the sky and had nightmares for years. I have friends who joined the military to do something in support of the country.

On this anniversary, I hope that we will remember the sorrow, temper the rage, and work toward the tolerance that would make acts like this unthinkable. I, myself, cannot forgive those involved. I just don't have it in me to this day.




No comments:

Post a Comment