Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Secret #47

My comments on Reader's Digest article "50 Secrets Your Vet Won't Tell You"


"I know you mean well when you vigorously lather your dog with shampoo and then vigorously rub him dry with the towel, but that can jam hairs under the skin like little splinters and cause horrible infections that are very painful. It's especially a problem for short coated dogs like Weimereiners, Boston Terriers, Pugs, labs and Boxers."

Aaallll righty, then. I can honestly say I've never seen a skin infection that I could attribute to overzealous drying. I'm not sure what this tech was seeing, but I find the connection between toweling dry and skin infections to be a slim possibility.

What I do see, everyday, are skin infections secondary to allergic irritation of the skin, and subsequent scratching and biting by the patient. So go ahead and bathe your dog when needed without fear.




Enjoy your pets!

No comments:

Post a Comment