Thursday, July 26, 2012

Secret #23- unleashed

My comments on Reader's Digest article "50 Secrets Your Vet Won't Tell You"

"I hate retractable leashes. The locking mechanism pops open so easily, and suddenly the pet is flying to the end of it, and maybe it's into the street or into the jaws of another dog. I've had people bring in a pet who got hit by a car because they were using a retractable leash and the locking mechanism broke."

I have been burned by retractable leashes. Literally- rope burns across the backs of my knees. I don't like chains as leashes, either. Leather is OK. And plain old leashes 5-6 feet long are generally great. You want to be in control- that's the point.

So, be careful with retractables. Use a leash that allows you to make your dog stop suddenly if needed. Even better, train him to stay by your side on or off leash. I will still recommend keeping everyone on leash in the vet's office- it's really just safer for all involved.

Enjoy your pets!

No comments:

Post a Comment